— Days Without Shea —

by Kingman on March 21 at 10:00AM
And so the Oliver Perez era ends today.http://www.loge13.com/images/Oliver_movie2.png

The NY Post reports that Ollie was released at 8:15 this morning.

"They told me they were going to let me go, and I think that is best for the team and best for me," said Perez, who will collect $12 million this season.

Meanwhile, Luis Castillo signed with the Phillies. If he makes the club, he will probably hit .220 against the rest of league and about .600 vs. the Mets.

There's no doubt  these two moves will make this a better club...and possibly clubhouse. I'm not suggesting the Mets will now clinch a playoff berth but the fact is, just being competitive will be hard enough: we don't need two black holes/black clouds crowding up the roster.

Meanwhile, the WSJ did a nice little piece on another former Met pitcher we all loved to hate in the early days of Loge13: Doug Sisk. I found this part of the piece a bit disturbing though:

Whenever Sisk walked to the Shea Stadium mound, boos accompanied him. The narrative was a predictable one: Sisk would walk two, strike out one, walk another, allow two or three runs then exit with his head down and his reputation increasingly tattered.

Before long, something in New York fans changed. Sisk wasn't merely disliked--he was loathed. Mets loyalists took to scratching the paint off his car with their keys and snapping his antennae and windshield wipers.

One time, while driving out of the players' parking lot following a game, Sisk was shocked to see someone jump in front of his car, pull out a gun and point it at his head. "[Reliever] Jesse Orosco was with me, and we swerved out of the way," Sisk says. "That scared the absolute hell out of me."

Shortly thereafter, Sisk was returning to his home in Port Washington when he noticed a suspicious car trailing him all the way from the stadium. Sisk turned, the car turned. Sisk sped up, the car sped up. "There was no way I was going to drive home to my wife and child with these guys behind me," he says. "So I pulled into [the parking lot of] a bar I used to frequent and walked in. I told the bouncers to look out for these guys, and when they walked to the door the bouncers wouldn't let them in. Clearly, they were there to rough me up."

Eventually, Davey Johnson, the Mets manager, stopped pitching Sisk at Shea, an embarrassing decision that the ballplayer glumly accepted. "What fans don't always seem to understand is that the worst thing you can do to a hometown player is boo him," says Hodges. "We hear it, and it's never encouraging. I've never fully understood the concept--if you want the Mets to win, wouldn't you cheer someone like Doug?"

Sisk underwent elbow surgery toward the end of 1985, and he appeared in 41 games, with a 4-2 mark and 3.06 ERA, for the world champions the following season. Yet his contributions were more social than physical.

Sisk gained a sliver of fame as a 1/3 member of the "Scum Bunch," the unofficial back-of-the-airplane club he formed with Orosco and outfielder Danny Heep. The trio spent their time drinking beers, throwing fruit and causing moderate levels of mayhem. "It was all just fun," Sisk says. "We were just baseball players having a good time."

Sisk lasted one more season in New York, spent 1988 with the Baltimore Orioles and then--after bouncing around the minors--returned home to Tacoma.

Really? stalking players out of Shea? That's a bit too creepy for my tastes. Good to hear Doug Sisk is alive and well in Tacoma.

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Site Map | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us