I wrote a post earlier about the Shea Stadium Memorabilia Auction.

A few kind folks had also reminded me of it and pointed out the Loge13 sign was on the list of items still up for sale. (Download list here).

I didn't want to say anything at the time but now it can be told: there will be no Loge13 sign on the auction block this Saturday. Because I bought it.

In fact, it arrived just today. And it is pretty cool. The photo above is probably familiar to Loge13 readers. I often use it as an icon for posts. I have passed under that sign hundreds, probably thousands of times (if you include trips to the beer line and bathroom).

Here is that sign in its new home:

And here is the Loge13 sign with the Mr. Met No Smoking sign I had bought last September:

When I first opened the package, I saw the back of the sign and thought they sent me a bathroom sign by accident. I forgot the Loge13 sign had something on the reverse side:

Now I have to figure out how to hang this so both sides are visible!

This may sound strange coming from the author of a blog named for a forgotten section in a demolished stadium...but I am not a big nostalgia guy. However my wife (the lovely Lady Kingman) convinced me to splurge on the sign. I'm glad she did.

And I have to admit when I saw the old Loge13 sign today, it just made me feel happy.

Nothing else in the world looks like this marker. It was a familiar signpost for 24 years for me, a cerulean beacon between the dull gray concrete of Shea's corridors and the lush sunlight and Emerald, PeteFlynnian green of the Shea field (Is PeteFlynnian a word? It should be). I walked under that sign with old high school chums, assorted ex-girlfriends, and many dear folks and family members who have passed on.

And of course, I've walked under that sign countless times with the hardcore regulars of Loge13 - The Bayside Boys, Ron Hunt, my wife, my kids and most often and importantly, with my parents.  I've probably been under that sign more times than I've been in Church (well, certainly more times than I've been in Confession).

It doesn't say Shea on it. It doesn't even say "Loge" on it. But I know what it was and where it came from. And now it is on display at the Global Media Center for Loge13.com (a.k.a. my house).  So you'll have to buy another Loge level sign Saturday. Loge13 is taken.

[July 16, 2009 10:47 PM]  |  link  |  reply

congrats on the purchase. i highly recommend cleaning the sign - both sides - before doing much of anything with it. at least you got the "cut" version and not the in-tact sign like i did (Upper Deck section 3). the cut sign is much easier to deal with compared to that 6' x 6' wedge that i own.

[July 16, 2009 11:20 PM]  |  link  |  reply

They are AMAZING!!!

Jealousy prevents me from saying anything else.

[July 17, 2009 6:44 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Paul said

Way to go....Kingman. The JOY will last forever. Like you, I have my "LOGE 10" sign. I have it hanging above my BLUE Loge seats & my Smoking Permitted In This Area which I "Borrowed" in 2007 from the back ramp on the Loge Level.
However, one question remains....As we both know there were "TWO" signs. One at the high end of the row, and one at the low end. I hope whoever has them will enjoy it as much as us.

[July 17, 2009 8:01 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Paul said

Here is the link for the do's & dont's for the Paul McCartney Concert tonight....

[July 17, 2009 8:37 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Greek Bumble Bee said

Nice work Kingman. I had been looking for that sign but it couldnt have found a better resting place than where it is now. Congrats.

[July 17, 2009 9:10 AM]  |  link  |  reply

Congratulations on the buy! Very cool.

I am surprised that there is an auction (well, no I'm not). I guess the owners are growing tired of storing this stuff that nobody is buying...

Congrats again. Where do you plan to hang it?

Cheers!

[July 17, 2009 10:40 AM]  |  link  |  reply
ajp said

Good Job Kingman, It is good to know stuff this in the right hands

[July 17, 2009 11:32 AM]  |  link  |  reply
G-Fafif said

For all the unseemliness of auctioning off Shea's parts, this is a beautiful thing. Congrats on being reunited with Loge 13.

[July 17, 2009 1:20 PM]  |  link  |  reply
kingman said

Thanks all. DyHrdMet, do you have a photo of the uncut sign? I couldn't find it on your site. As for that other Loge13 sign, a mystery bidder has emerged. The details are sealed ;->

[July 17, 2009 7:58 PM]  |  link  |  reply

well said about the auction, Greg. I hate that it's going on (though it gives me something to do tomorrow), but i love that I have what I have.

Kingman - your photo of the smaller cut sign looks really good.

the photos of my sign that Kingman asks for (which I also just sent to him directly) are on my webshots page.