Filed under: Baseball | CitiField | Mets
by Kingman on April 19 at 7:52PM
The other day I posted about what's not to like at Citi Field.

Now it's time to try and be positive, not my natural instinct but here it goes:

Fan Walk: I am a fan. The brick walkway outside is a classy touch. Met fans rose to the occasion and left behind some clever tributes and poignant memorials. I am especially impressed by the dude who used the fan walk as an opportunity to propose marriage ("I am not David Wright but I am Mr. Right. Will you marry me?" Damn I wish I thought of that. Oh wait I'm already married). We always knew Met fans were the wittiest and most passionate in all baseball. Now there is written proof around Citi Field.

The Dunking Station. That was the favorite place for my sons (The MLB09 video game hut came in second). Next to the wiffle ball field behind the scoreboard, there is an old-fashioned dunking station sponsored by Hershey Park. The dunked victim doesn't fall into a tank of water, however; just some foam. But the kids were loving it anyway. Smart move by the Mets to put a giant screen behind the scoreboard so parents forced to bring their progeny to all these attractions can still follow the game.

Bullpens. Once again, we can see who is warming up, at least for the Mets.

The old Apple. At one point, the Mets were going to trash Shea's old home run magic hat. Now it is one of the most popular destinations in the new stadium. Very cool.

The bridge. Between the Apple and the bullpen, the suspension bridge provides the most impressive view of the game (that's where the above photo was taken).

Citi corridors. There is much more room to walk within the concourses of Citi Field. And on the Promenade level, there are many open areas, so more natural light comes in. I especially like the Promenade food court behind home plate. They could use another video screen there for fans to watch the action while dining.

Citi bathrooms. I have only been to one game but I never had to wait on line. And I got to listen to the radio, as they now pipe WFAN into the men's room. In fact, I was in the bathroom on Opening Day when the news broke about the death of Mark "The Bird" Fydrich. Someone flushed during the news, though, so I had to loiter in the men's toilet a bit longer than I felt comfortable with.

Citi staff. I did not see our old Loge13 usher on Opening Day. He may have retired; he's probably somewhere else. The folks I have met have clearly taken the new courtesy training very seriously. But that doesn't mean they are without charm or character. Good example: before Monday's game, the usher in our section heard me chatting with Ron Hunt  about the rock & roll hall of fame. He noted that lots of worthy bands are still excluded. I agreed and cited as one random example, Jethro Tull. Turns out, this guy was at Shea Stadium July 23, 1976 when Tull played Shea, and he cited the date as proof. Now that's what we want in a Mets usher.

Again, I have only attended one game so I may have overlooked or overstated something. Feel free to fill in the blanks.

[April 19, 2009 9:06 PM]  |  link  |  reply

you mentioned some really good points here, and it's good in all the bad press that they're getting (and I'm giving them) that some good things are said.

i think you left out the comfort of the seats and seating aisles. my joke for my Shea seats is to take a normal kitchen chair, shave off 2 inches on each side, and you have the seat. much improved at the new place.

i actually thought there wasn't enough light on at least some of the concourses. but i was at a day game on a bit of a cloudy day (against Boston).

though different from the blue we got so used to, i do like the color scheme (minus advertisments) of the outfield wall, with the orange lining and black wall. i heard that the wall and the green seats were meant to invoke memories of the Polo Grounds (something my dad knew and can give his opinion on after next Saturday's game).

[April 19, 2009 9:43 PM]  |  link  |  reply

OK then I expect a report from dyhrdmet Senior next weekend on the Polo Grounds comparisons...

[April 19, 2009 9:44 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Many good thoughts King-dude, I love these the most - the Bridge, the old Apple, World's Fare Market, the overall feel of the place is good(and I've waited on line for a waterless urinal).

It started to look like home this weekend on SNY, I knew these were home games. Good sign.

btw - we need to sit in the Pepsi Porch next year!!!!!

[April 20, 2009 10:51 AM]  |  link  |  reply

Dude it is SO funny you said that. I was thinking the same thing. The Pepsi Porch looks real interesting to me. If you can't get seats in the infield, that looks like the best view and vibe of the place. I was looking into getting some single game seats there this year.

[April 20, 2009 2:23 PM]  |  link  |  reply
greek bumble bee said

Let me know when you guys go for Pepsi Porch and I will come over with my two boys to rekindle some loge 13 memories.

[April 20, 2009 5:31 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Andrew said

Pepsi Porch is great. Sat there twice already. The area is blocked off from other sections so the concessions and bathrooms do not have long lines. It's possible to go to the bathroom, grab some food and be back in time for the next half inning. The only negative is that I sat in section 303, 5th row and you cant see the warning track or the bullpens from 303. Other than that, for the price, convenience and view, those might be the best seats.