The Bobster and Old Blue Eyes collaborated on this tribute to Shea Stadium. If you are still reeling from Sunday's loss to the Marlins and of Shea Stadium, this will not necessarily help your mood. But you must watch.

I want to also take a moment and thank everyone who has e-mailed and commented on the site this week. Y'all have been very generous both with your kindness regarding Loge13.com and, most importantly, about your feelings regarding the end of Shea's days. I definitely think it has helped soften the blow. If you sent me an e-mail, be patient. I'm trying to get back to everyone.

And now for our feature presentation:

[October 1, 2008 5:41 PM]  |  link  |  reply

oh this is beautiful. this is how i want to remember shea - orange/blue/green/red with blue trim/exterior, but before the ads poluted the walls and backstop.

[October 1, 2008 6:14 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Bobster said

The video was shot in 1986, by the way.

[October 1, 2008 6:57 PM]  |  link  |  reply

ya, it looked it. i saw that it wasn't 100% blue siding yet, and the blue makeover didn't complete until maybe 1987 or 1988 (you can see non-blue facing inside the stadium in the videos from the '86 season and playoffs too). i'm a bit surprised i didn't see this video during the '86 reunion 2 years ago (but i didn't know about loge13.com then)

[October 2, 2008 9:46 AM]  |  link  |  reply
9/15/65 said

What a video. Thanks for posting it. That's exactly how I remember it from when I was a kid. I don't care what people say, Citi Field is more cookie cutter than Shea ever was. Anybody see the Daily news today? Don't look if you are easily offended.

[October 2, 2008 5:35 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Old scoreboard. Old auxiliary scoreboards down the lines. Can't make out what was scribbled on the roof of the Mets dugout. No windscreens at the ends of the stadium.... And the concrete hasn't been painted blue yet.

Speaking of which, I despised their beautification efforts by trying to put a coat of blue paint on everything.... Yes, it looked okay for a season or two... but then, it just looked more run-down as the paint chipped and faded. And now that they painted the concrete, they'd have to keep on re-painting it...

And speaking of the pollution brought on by increased advertising... Who would of thought that the actions taken in 'Major League 2' would come true.... almost at every ballpark across the country.

Cheers!

[October 2, 2008 9:00 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Bill in Stuart Florida said

Wow this is an awesome piece. Having moved to Florida 14 years ago I always had the opportunity to "go home" to Shea each summer for a game or three.(and as many S.T. games in PSL as I can squeeze in.) I saw the clip in the Daily News today about the dismantling of Shea beginning; At dinner tonight I say to my wife "I cant believe they have begun taking Shea apart." and now I go to your blog and see "There used to be a Ballpark here." I'm going to miss that place in a huge way. But here's (Tipping me chiiled mug towards the North) to Shea and all the fantastic memories she gave to me, my friends, family and my children. Thanks for the great work you do on your Blog.
Bill

[October 28, 2008 1:07 AM]  |  link  |  reply
ted said

It was a dump but it was our dump full of childhood memorys