Filed under: Baseball | Mets | Shea
by Kingman on March 12 at 4:52PM
Shea_postcard_1964_small

Loge13.com is celebrating a birthday today.

This blog did not start with the most noble of intentions. DepressedFan.com Brian was launching the BlogsByFans network and had yet to sign up any Mets bloggers. I knew if I didn’t step up, he would ignore New York’s superior baseball team and just write about the Spankees all the time. But I didn’t just want to launch another Met blog. It needed an angle.

The Mets brass provided that angle as it became clear our longstanding ticket plan at Shea Stadium would no longer exist in 2009. Twenty four years of a partial ticket plan in Loge13 would come to an end. The Mets had no plans for us in Citi Field unless we bought into a full-season plan. My family and I have sat with some wonderful people in Loge13 and throughout Shea, there are hundreds of little communities of fans like ours that will be broken up at season’s end. So this blog was launched as a way to remember all those folks and to pay tribute to that glorious concrete Camelot: Shea Stadium.

Loge13.com has been a great experience thus far. Folks have chimed in from all over the world to celebrate Shea Stadium. I’ve learned alot about Shea and have also learned that there are thousands of folks out there just like us, with very strong attachments to the 1st Wonder of Queens.

Naming folks is dangerous because I will forget someone. However I have to thank DepressedFan Brian for giving us Met fans a platform.

I also want to thank all the Met bloggers out there, especially:Faith and Fear in Flushing (some of the best writing on the Web. Period.), Mets By The Numbers, Mets Blog, Metstradamus, Mets Walk-Offs, Metsgrrl.com, Save The Apple, Paul and Ringo At Shea

…and MetSilverman.com. Hey Matt, the book came today. Thanks! If y’all get a chance, buy “100 Things Mets Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die.” Then turn to page 208, where Loge13.com is listed as one of the best Web Sites to visit before you die. Nice!

Also thanks to everyone who has posted comments.  Stormy, Mets2Moon, Eli, Doug, G-Fafif, Lonestar met, Rickey24 and so many more folks who regularly chime in. Ross Jones, you tha man. And a big shout-out to Bobster, who has been so generous with his time and with sharing his beautiful memories of Shea. Bobster rocks!

And a special thanks to Ron Hunt, the heart and soul of Loge13.com. He and I shared a very cool Shea experience recently we hope to share with y’all by month’s end. Stay tuned.

Finally, I have to thank my family, especially my parents. We’ve been sitting together in Loge13 for 24 years; some of my best family memories are tied to that section. My folks took me to Shea when I was a kid and now I take my kids. Three generations of us have witnessed alot of baseball in Loge13, some of it even good baseball. Next month, Shea Stadium celebrates its last birthday. Soon all we will have are these memories. So lets make it a good year.

And if any Met brass is reading, we’re still interested in tickets next year. Call us. Or stop by Loge13.

[March 12, 2008 5:40 PM]  |  link  |  reply

A Big Shout-Out to you, Kingman!!! Thanks for creating , writing and maintaining this blog. It's been a welcome addition to our daily lives and consistently a great read. Keep the faith, we shall overcome!

[March 12, 2008 9:59 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Stormy said

What Huntsie said.

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for keeping up this great site & sharing your personal stories.

I bought my first Mets ticket package this year, "Shea Goodbye". Hopefully we can meet up.

[March 12, 2008 11:31 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Jon said

Keep up God's work, my son.

[March 13, 2008 8:31 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Eli said

Kingman,
Congratulations! Here's to you for a great and bittersweet 2008!

[March 13, 2008 11:55 AM]  |  link  |  reply
G-Fafif said

Happy Anniversary to what is clearly the best section in all of Shea Stadium. You've become a daily stop for me and many others and you've really brought home why it will be so hard to leave home. Here's to a great second and 45th year, respectively.

[March 13, 2008 12:59 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Mike said

Happy belated B-Day!

[March 13, 2008 5:21 PM]  |  link  |  reply
MG said

God willing you'll have a fair equivalent in That New Place. THanks for the shout-out.

[March 13, 2008 6:36 PM]  |  link  |  reply
NatKiller said

Did you ever hear of just getting a group together to buy season tickets, then splitting them up? You know, 80 games, 4 people, 20 games each, voila - a partial season ticket plan. Bunch of whiners if you ask me -- Go Nats!

[March 13, 2008 8:03 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Pay no attention to that Nats fan. He's my brother and he hasn't been right since he moved south. Enjoy LoDuca and 5th place, mon frere!

[March 13, 2008 8:16 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Rickey24 said

Happy Birthday, Loge13! Here's to hoping the Mets brass opens up Citi Field to partial planholders (and especially long-time partial planholders like yourselves).

[March 13, 2008 8:22 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Ross Jones said

Happy Birthday Kong! May you continue to enjoy games on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights for years to come.

[March 14, 2008 9:02 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Bobster said

Congratulations on the anniversary, and thanks for the props, Kingman!

By the way, I love that postcard! That's the way I'll always remember the Shea of my youth.