Filed under: Baseball | Mets | Shea
by Kingman on March 13 at 8:01PM
The Bobster sent along this photo he found of the Mets playing at the Polo Grounds:

PoloGrounds

It’s difficult to tell who is playing but there’s no question deep center field was in a different zip code than home plate.

Also see recent post about Ebbet's Field lone survivor.

[March 13, 2008 10:19 PM]  |  link  |  reply
bt said

judging from the bunting, it is near opening day of either 62 or 63. looking at the uniform of the batter i would guess its 62 against the pirates

[March 14, 2008 8:34 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Mike said

Judging by the 14 fans in the stands, it's 1981.

[March 14, 2008 8:59 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Bobster said

I think bt is correct - those uniforms do look like the Pirates and the bunting indicates a season-opening series. The Mets opened at home against the Bucs in 1962, so this pictures was almost certainly taken April 13-15, 1962. The Mets lost all those games, by the way. The ads on the outfield walls are indicative of the Mets' fortunes that year - drown your sorrows with Rheingold beer, then take a Bromo Seltzer for your indigestion.

[March 14, 2008 9:20 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Joe said

If Beltran were to have played at the Polo grounds he'd probably be posistioned directly under the Rheingold sign. Like the caption says "another zip code." LOL

[March 14, 2008 10:47 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Jon said

One thing I worry about the new place is that in making whatever attempts to be "quirky," and reminiscent, they make gameplay a complete nightmare (i.e.: that idiotic Hill in Houston, or the EZ home run alleys in Philly). It's my understanding that Citi will feature bleachers overhanging the field of play in RF corner as (not pictured here) at the Polo Grounds.

[March 14, 2008 11:46 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Roger said

The Mets played Saturday doubleheaders back then. I believed you could get a seat behind home plate in the upper deck (the PG only had two) for $1.30. The bleachers were 75 cents! Does anyone remember the Mets first mascot Homer? He predates Mr. Met.

[March 14, 2008 11:52 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Tom Manning said

I really don't think that is the mets on the field...Why? I went to quite a few games in the mets era at shea...and for the life of me I cannot remwember the Rheingold beer sign in center..not the Bromo ad in RF...as I remember the concrete walls in LF and RF were painted bright green...with no ads...Could be wrong tho as I am a senior cit.

[March 17, 2008 12:33 PM]  |  link  |  reply
don conrad said

found a picture in the ny times archives that states april 21 v mil braves. can't confirm the braves part but the colorations on the infield are the same.

[March 17, 2008 12:49 PM]  |  link  |  reply
don conrad said

i did confirm that the mets played a double header on that sunday with the braves, however, those do look like pirate unis

[February 18, 2012 5:22 AM]  |  link  |  reply
craig said

The only add I definitely remember was the Hebrew National add on Left Field Wall. I'd also say that they were playing Bucs