Filed under: Baseball | Mets | Shea
by Kingman on February 15 at 4:24PM

Another photo from the Ron Hunt archives (Loge13’s Ron Hunt, not THE Ron Hunt).

Shamclink70_resized

A Mets/Expo’s day game. Can you ID who is batting and who’s on deck? Big crowd and a full parking lot. I forgot about the gated rails that separated the box seats from the field…much different from the padding and advertising signs we have today.

[February 15, 2008 10:14 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Mike said

Is that Ken Singleton on deck?

[February 16, 2008 8:22 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Ross Jones said

I think Donn Clendenon is in the on deck circle.

[February 17, 2008 10:44 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Dean said

It looks like Art Shamsky at bat and Donn Clendenon on deck.

[February 17, 2008 9:54 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Congrats Dean! Correct!

[February 18, 2008 5:41 AM]  |  link  |  reply
BobR said

Clendenon had a great season in 1970 - I think he may have set a new team RBI record that year which has since been broken. But 1970 was a big disappointment after the Miracle of '69. The team just couldn't win consistently and only managed 83 wins. I think the Mets drew 2 million fans in 1970 for the first time, though.

[February 19, 2008 1:59 PM]  |  link  |  reply

The open-mesh (expanded metal) fence between the field level boxes and the field were there for a long time. Probably during the seat-color swapping era, steel plate was installed over the lower portion of the fence. This, of course, was the mainstay until the Club added the "Baseline Seating" category - effectively added another set of boxes in front of the existing boxes.

[February 20, 2008 6:27 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Anonymous said

I've looked at this photo a dozen or so times, it brings back so many memories. This is a time in my life when I was obsessed with baseball - I turned 15 in 1970 - and would never think of missing a Mets game on the radio or TV. Even those games broadcast from LA or San Fran that ended after 1 a.m. - I'd attend classes the next morning all bleary eyed from lack of sleep. You look at that photo and think, gee, everyone there is nearly 40 years older now...and so am I!! Anyway, thanks for posting this picture, Ron.