Filed under: Baseball | Mets
by Kingman on September 25 at 8:59AM

CaseyIf you’re reading this, you are probably a Met fan.

That means you have a highly evolved immune system to combat the absurdity of life. You are sophisticated enough to never take anything (like a 7–game lead) for granted. You expect the unexpected. This helps you tolerate losing and makes winning feel so much better.

These traits are what separate us from the apes…and the Yankee fans.

But after dropping last night’s game to the lowly Nationals by the ridiculous score of 13–4, it is rational for Met fans to start feeling irrational.

Lets win this damn thing already.

The Mets should have pulled away with the NL East in early August. The competition is not all that good: and apparently we are just not that good. The Mets couldn’t even put together a 5–game winning streak until September. Hell, we haven’t even won 90 games yet and there’s only 6 games left.

Yes there have been injuries. That’s why Pelfrey was starting last night. But what was anyone expecting from a 3–7 rookie?

You can go through the archives of Loge13.com: there has beeen little to no criticism of Willie Randolph this year. But what was his game plan last night? Pelfrey allowed seven runs in 5.2 innings. Why wasn’t Dave Williams or Sele warming up before the game and ready to go? Why didn’t Willie yank Pelfrey at the first sign of trouble (the 4th or 5th inning)? By the time he made a move, the Mets are down 7–1.

That’s not managing like it’s the last week of the season. That’s not managing like you’ve tasted blood this weekend and can gain a game on the Phils, dampening their spirits. The Phillies are still very much in this thing and they know it. Do we?

The Mets have already gussied up Shea Stadium for the postseason. The extra luxury field boxes are in place. Lets hope they are needed.

[September 25, 2007 12:26 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Joe Torre Jr.(Willie) is the worst manager in the game and a big reason we are currently dying. I was amazed he left that rookie in the game to take that beating when a win would have virtually secured us a playoff spot - 3 game lead with 6 left.

Let's start the chant now - I'll be out there Wednesday and Thursday, so when you hear it, please join in with Loge 13 - WILLIE MUST GO!!!

[September 25, 2007 4:49 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Eli said

Can't agree with you about Willie. I'm not sure what Willie is supposed to do. No matter who he brings in from the pen, it isn't working out.

[September 25, 2007 5:30 PM]  |  link  |  reply

As I said, I have not bashed Willie this year or much at all during his tenure. I do wonder what he was thinking last night. I can't blame him for the whole year, however. It wasn't his decision to let Chad Bradford leave. Or trade for Jorge Sosa. Or re-sign Mota. He was down on losing Down. I wonder how he feels about Ricky and his influence on Reyes.

[September 26, 2007 9:50 AM]  |  link  |  reply

I don't understand how you can feel he's blameless. A good manager should be able to "steal" a few wins a year, think Whitey or Davey, Willie never does this. And his pitching management is horrible. Leaving Pelfrey in way too long, bringing in a rookie, then Sele, last night.Playing to lose, not win. I hope Omar's endorsement last night is the kiss of death. WILLIE MUST GO!!!

[September 26, 2007 1:55 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Eli said

I'm not sure where I said Willie is blameless. There is blame for everyone. I just don't think Willie should be fired. He does always seem to know when to send up Marlon Anderson.