Filed under: Mets | Shea
by Kingman on July 17 at 5:15PM

As previously mentioned, I took the family to last Thursday’s Met-Reds game. My oldest likes to go on walkabouts through Shea. This time we went to the absolute last seat in the Upper Deck, Section 48, left field. Here are some of the views from on high.

First off, here is the blue and orange construction hook attached to the big crane above Citi Field. I’ve been trying to get a good photo of that all season:

Constructionhook_071207

My son was getting vertigo up top. I don’t get dizzy looking down but definitely feel woozy looking sideways. How did I manage these steps back when beer was only $3.00 a cup?

LastRow_071207

Here’s the perspective behind the Upper Deck, looking across to Whitestone. In less than two years, these vistas will be extinct so next time you’re at Shea, make the pilgrimage with your kids, your loved ones or your imaginary friends:

JamaicaBay_071207

Sunset over the city. If life was fair, folks would heed Greg from Faith & Fear and keep Shea standing, just for the scenery:

NYSunset_071207

Finally, the field from the last seat in the house:

FieldFromLastSeat_071207

[July 18, 2007 9:17 AM]  |  link  |  reply
Eli said

I really appreciate the lengths you'll go to continue this celebration of Shea Stadium. I have a Sat plan in Mezz 7. I wonder how will they tell me I won't be invited back in 2009?

[July 18, 2007 9:41 AM]  |  link  |  reply

Thanks Eli! So you haven't received anything in the mail, urging you to convert your Saturday plan into a full season plan? Not surprising. The treatment of partial plan holders like us is what fuels Loge13 until the bitter end.

[July 18, 2007 10:18 AM]  |  link  |  reply
James Vazquez said

You know, I was a little harsh on you last week and after reading this I kind of feel your plight. Granted I still hate Shea with a passion and always have, I have just never felt a true connection with the place and I've been a Mets fan all my life, but for a season ticket holder like yourself it has to be disheartening how the Mets will just let you hang out to dry, although letting us down is nothing new with the Mets organization! lol

That's always the downside to a new venue. Sure you get a beautiful new place. but the real fan, the ones who have been paying their way for years, supported the teams through thick and thin always get the shaft in the end.
I'm not a seasoner but when I do purchase tickets I usually sit Mezz or upper deck. Once in a blue moon I have a few buddies who have their field seat boxes from their companies open so I get invited. That whole thing kills me. Those seats should be available for EVERYONE, not just the highest cooperate bidder. Just sucks.

Well you still have another season left in El Shea, who knows, maybe we'll get one more title in it!

Lets go Mets!

[July 18, 2007 11:15 AM]  |  link  |  reply
James Vazquez said

BTW, I have a question, maybe you can answer it, I don't know. Here it goes.

In 2005 the Mets put up two neat looking billboards that covered the entire side of the left field and right field wall at the end of the Stadiums honoring the 69 Mets (right field) and the 86 Mets (left field), but for some reason they took down the 1986 one sometime last year. Would you have an idea why? Didn't understand why they would leave one up and yet take one down.

[July 18, 2007 2:10 PM]  |  link  |  reply
Eli said

Kingman, I got the full-season pitch when I got my Sat-plan invoice. But I am waiting for the note saying my Sat-only business will no longer be welcome.

[July 18, 2007 3:40 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Thanks James. As to your question, I don't know the official reason. As of August 2006, the 1986 Met mural was still there on the left field side of Shea. There is alot of new advertising over in that area (including that Dunkin Donuts ice coffee cup). Perhaps the mural was deemed too distracting. There is also alot more construction activity in that area. More likely, there was a concern that the mural was going to start looking beat up so they just brought it down. I'll try and find out more.

[July 20, 2007 4:15 PM]  |  link  |  reply
James Vazquez said

I bet you in the twisted mind of Fred Wilpon, he wanted it taken down to make room for the 2006 World Series Champion mural...lol

[July 20, 2007 4:39 PM]  |  link  |  reply

Don't laugh. I think you might be on to something!