If you have not yet planned your summer vacation, you should consider Queens.
At least that’s what Queens Borough President Helen Marshall thinks.
Marshall (pictured here next to Mr. Met and other Queens dignitaries) announced her “Discover Queens in August" program at the Diamond Club at Shea Stadium Tuesday.
“We are grateful to all our tourism partners and the Mets for getting the word out about everything from Dragon Boat races to the US Open Tennis Tournament. There is no better time to discover Queens than in the month of August," the borough president said.
Some of the higlights include:
- Passport Fridays, which will bring visitors to the Queens Museum of Art for free outdoor music and dance every Friday night.
- Thousands can enjoy the music and dance of Latin culture at the weeklong JP Morgan Latino Festival at Queens Theatre in the Park July 25 to August 5. For more information, call Queens Theatre in the Park at 718-760-0686. Jeff Rosenstock director of Queens Theatre in the Park, noted, "New tee shirts, like the ones used in Brooklyn, have been printed to celebrate Queens and to bring Queens residents together to be proud of their borough."
- The fourth annual Tiger-Beer Singapore Chili Crab Festival will be held at Riverview in Long Island City on August 19.
- The US Open at the Billie Jean King US Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park August 27 to September 9. Even if you don’t have tickets, you can walk the grounds of the tennis center and watch many of the players warm up on the practice courts.
- The New York Mets will have 12 home games in August, against the Braves, Marlins, padres and Dodgers.
- A major celebration during the summer will be the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival (HKDBF) that will take place on August 4 and 5 at Meadow Lake in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.
And there’s always the Queens Zoo and Science Center, both in Flushing Meadows Park. Then zip over to the American Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, NY. (they’re currently doing a retrospective on horror movies). Who needs the Hamptons?